[Pollinator] Xerces Pollinator Conservation Program Digest - April 2021

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Thu Apr 15 06:38:20 PDT 2021

Hi pollinator folks,

Each month we publish a pollinator team digest that highlights the work of
a few of our amazing pollinator team members. In this edition, Hannah
Mullally describes a project to create a pollinator habitat demonstration
site in the unique conditions of northern Maine, Karin Jokela shares her
experience and suggestions for designing conservation seed mixes in
Minnesota, and Anna Murray gives a glimpse into habitat planning and
monitoring in California.

https://xerces.org/blog/pollinator-conservation-program-digest-april-2021

*Pollinator Habitat Demonstration Site in Northern Maine*

*Hannah Mullally*

In 2020, I met with Central Aroostook Soil and Water Conservation District,
Presque Isle NRCS field office, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and
Wildlife, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to plan the creation of a
7-acre pollinator demonstration area near Presque Isle, Maine. The
objectives of this demonstration area are to test site preparation methods
in the field, test habitat management techniques, provide public education
about pollinator habitat establishment and management, and serve as a site
for long-term insect and vegetation surveys. Northern Maine’s climate,
soils and vegetation are unique from the rest of Maine making this an
important project to inform pollinator habitat creation here in the future.

Because this is a demonstration site, the habitat plan I created outlined
different site preparation methods to be applied in sections of the area,
including herbicide, tillage and smother crop, and smothering with black
plastic. A separate section will demonstrate inadequate site preparation of
only one tillage passage to illustrate the need for thorough, season-long
preparation. I also created a timeline for site preparation and seeding,
management techniques, and a seed mix which includes milkweed suitable for
the climate. A section of the demonstration area will not be seeded and the
existing vegetation will be managed to maintain early successional habitat.
Each of the different treatment areas are clearly defined by mowed boundary
strips.

Public field days will be help to introduce landowners to site preparation
methods, native plants, the needs of at-risk species including the monarch,
and appropriate management. Partners and I will conduct annual surveys on
the site to monitor changes in pollinator and vegetation presence.

*The Science and Art of Pollinator Seed Mix Design*

*Karin Jokela*

In the Midwest, most large-scale native pollinator habitat plantings are
created with seed mixes. It is understood that plant diversity is a
requirement for pollinators and the foundation of ecological resilience,
but it can be a complicated and consequential challenge to select the best
mix for any given site. After all, what you plant when you start a project
determines the results for years to come.

The majority of my work during this travel-restricted year has centered
around designing and reviewing mixes for farmers and agency staff, as well
as training conservation professionals on how to build high-quality native
seed mixes that serve bees and monarch butterflies, replicate natural plant
associations, establish readily, conform to certain conservation practice
standards, AND fit within budget constraints. It takes a lot of familiarity
with native flora, experience with specialized design tools like seed
calculators, and awareness of the commercial availability of various
species in our region. No doubt, a certain bent for artistic creativity can
also be helpful when crafting the perfect mix.

In the past year, I’ve led seven seed mix design and evaluation training
events for conservation staff from city, county, state, and federal
agencies as well as private consultants and individuals, and I think I’m
only scratching the surface of the demand here in Minnesota. Readers of
this digest might also be interested in how to evaluate a mix that
purportedly benefits pollinators. Here’s a list of questions I ask myself
when reviewing a mix for the tallgrass prairie systems common in the
Midwest. In most cases, there isn’t a “correct” answer to each of these
questions, but thinking through these considerations can help you explore
which elements in a mix may need to be adjusted prior to purchase:

   1. How many species are in the mix?
   2. Are the species regionally appropriate?
   3. Are the species adapted to the soil moisture conditions on site?
   4. Are the species adapted to sun conditions on site?
   5. Are there at least three (ideally, more!) wildflower species blooming
   in each part of the growing season (early, mid, and late?)
   6. Are there native sedge and grass species, including some bunchgrasses?
   7. Are butterfly host plants included (e.g., milkweeds for monarch
   butterflies)?
   8. Are annuals, biennials, and short- and long-lived perennials included?
   9. Is there a wide diversity of native plants from different plant
   families (e.g., asters, mints, milkweeds, legumes, roses, etc.)?
   10. Are all the “functional groups” represented (e.g., warm-season
   grasses, cool-season grasses, sedges or rushes, legume and non-legume
   wildflowers)?
   11. Are there any species dominating the mix (i.e., species that have an
   unusually high seeding rate that could outcompete others)?
   12. What is the ratio of wildflowers to grasses (based on seeds/square
   foot)?
   13. What is the overall seeding rate?
   14. Does the cost match my budget?
   15. Are the species in the mix available to buy? If not, what substitute
   species would be appropriate?

Hopefully this list of considerations will be useful as a way to visualize
how a particular seed mix may perform, and whether your mix will help you
achieve your conservation goals. There’s inherent optimism in creating
mixes with affection and intention, knowing that once established, your
habitat will serve as a powerful nature-based climate and biodiversity
solution. Enjoy the process!

*Expanding On-Farm Habitat Creation Projects to Include Monitoring*

*Anna Murray*

Since joining Xerces in May 2020, my work has primarily focused on ensuring
the continuation of pollinator habitat establishment on farms that form
part of the General Mills supply chain in the western United States. In
addition to working with almond, tree fruit, and vegetable row growers to
plant pollinator and beneficial insect habitats, I am adding a focus of
detailed monitoring of plant health and phenology (the timing of seasonal
events) to our work.

Using an online platform called Fulcrum, I have customized field-collection
forms to capture media-rich, geo-located information on the habitats that
have been planted throughout the supply chain and Bee Better Certified
farms. We hope to capture this information to 1) create a system for
extensive photo-monitoring and storytelling; 2) create a large set of data
to help us understand plant survival, adaptability, and phenological
variation, and—time permitting­—invertebrate use of these large-scale
projects; and 3) maintain connections with our grower partners and
encourage investment in the continuing maintenance of their habitat
plantings.

----------

Matthew Shepherd

Director of Communications & Outreach

*he/him/his*

Cell: (503) 807-1577

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org

[image: Email-Outlook_Xerces-logo-CMYK]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect @xercessociety on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/xercessociety/>,
Twitter <https://twitter.com/xercessociety>, and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/>.

Visit xerces.org to read our blog <https://xerces.org/blog>, sign up for
our e-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>,
and learn what you can do.

Watch on YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiPLPJuySOgn6CbjkOxqLQ>.

Support our work: Donate <https://xerces.org/donate/>!