[Pollinator] Nature-Based Climate Solutions Address Climate Change and Support Pollinators

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Wed Aug 25 16:11:05 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

This summer, we got a taste of what is in store for us if we do not act on
climate change. A record-breaking heatwave in the Pacific Northwest brought
triple-digit temperatures to cities that are best known for their clouds
and rain. British Columbia experienced temperatures higher than any on
record for Las Vegas! But the harbingers of climate change weren’t confined
to that region. Extreme weather events, including heatwaves, devastating
flooding, deep drought, and huge wildfires occurred around the globe. The
climate crisis is here.

Habitat restoration can contribute to countering climate change. Native
trees, shrubs, flowers, and grasses increase carbon sequestration, while
also providing habitat for butterflies, bees, and so much more. Climate
resilience is a factor that Xerces staff have been considering when
designing and implementing habitat projects for years, choosing plants that
can cope with drought and have lower maintenance needs.

In this week’s article on our blog, conservation biologist Angela Laws
describes one such project done in collaboration with River Partners.

*Climate News: Nature-Based Climate Solutions Address Climate Change and
Support Pollinators*

https://xerces.org/blog/climate-news-nature-based-climate-solutions-address-climate-change-and-support-pollinators

Matthew

----------

Matthew Shepherd

Director of Communications & Outreach

*he/him/his*

Cell: (503) 807-1577

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org

[image: Email-Outlook_Xerces-logo-CMYK]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect @xercessociety on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/xercessociety/>,
Twitter <https://twitter.com/xercessociety>, and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/>.

Visit xerces.org to read our blog <https://xerces.org/blog>, sign up for
our e-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>,
and learn what you can do.

Watch on YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiPLPJuySOgn6CbjkOxqLQ>.

Support our work: Donate <https://xerces.org/donate/>!