[Pollinator] apple pollination study

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Thu Nov 11 08:40:34 PST 2021

Weekers, T., et al. (2022). "Dominance of honey bees is negatively
associated with wild bee diversity in commercial apple orchards
regardless of management practices." Agriculture, Ecosystems &
Environment 323: 107697.
     Commercial apple production relies on managed honey bees (Apis
mellifera) for pollination, and on intensive management for pest
control. Previous studies have highlighted the potentially detrimental
effects of intensive crop management on wild bee diversity in
agroecosystems, potentially jeopardizing the pollination services they
provide. However, the extent to which honey bee dominance and crop
management interact under field-realistic conditions and drive the
structure of wild bee assemblages has not been investigated so far. In
this study, we measured species richness, as well as the functional and
phylogenetic diversity of wild bee assemblages in 36 paired organic and
non-organic apple orchards during their flowering season and along a
geographic gradient across western Europe. Our results show a strong
significant and negative association between honey bee dominance and all
wild bee diversity metrics, regardless of local management. Semi-natural
habitats had a significant and positive effect on functional diversity,
while urbanization and crop cover around the orchards showed no effect
on all measured diversity metrics. A greater number of species exhibited
less common, or frequent, combinations of functional traits at sites
with high honey bee dominance, especially larger bee species with longer
tongues. Collectively, we show that wild bee diversity decreases with
increasing honey bee dominance, and that this negative association is
not buffered by alternative (i.e., organic) management practices in
commercial apple orchards. Although organic farming can bring about
biodiversity benefits, our study demonstrates that, in the context of
commercial apple production, other measures are needed to enhance and
harness biodiversity for sustainable and profitable crop production. In
particular, a lowered reliance on honey bees and a redesign of orchards
through configurational crop heterogeneity and/or the restoration of
in-field semi‐natural elements are required beyond agricultural input
substitution.

--
Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus