[Pollinator] Fwd: [Dplex-L] The future of Monarch Watch

Laurie Adams lda at pollinator.org
Sun Oct 2 11:45:46 PDT 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Taylor Jr, Orley R <chip at ku.edu>
Date: Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 10:34 AM
Subject: [Dplex-L] The future of Monarch Watch
To: DPLEX-L <dplex-l at lists.ku.edu>

Greetings: I have a bit of news to share. My leadership of Monarch Watch, a
program I started with Brad Williamson in 1992, is coming to an end.
However, Monarch Watch will continue. A new director/scientist/professor
will be hired to fill my position, and I will step aside next year in
August -assuming I remain in good health and a director/scientist is hired.
While I've never been paid to direct Monarch Watch, to hire a replacement
we had to find $$$. The solution has been to create an Endowed
professorship. Such Endowed positions require substantial financial
support. While the fund raising behind the scenes has gone well, we still
have a ways to go. We will initiate a public fundraising campaign soon.

This transition has been discussed extensively with chairs and the
administration over the last decade, and we were going to make these
changes in early 2020 and then Covid happened. It’s time. I turned 85 in
August and I have to step away in order to find enough time to finish 6
manuscripts and a couple of experiments - one of which has given me an idea
for a new community science project. There is always something new, and
even if I’m not directing Monarch Watch, I’ll continue to contribute.

 The link below contain a description of the position.

https://employment.ku.edu/monarch-watch-endowed-directorship-professorship/23423br