[Pollinator] Seeking scientists to add names in support of a Colorado Legislative Bill providing the state wildlife agency with authority to manage invertebrates and rare plants!

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Wed Feb 21 18:17:33 PST 2024

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to ask if you'd consider signing a Scientist Letter of Support
for Colorado House Bill 24-1117
<https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb24-1117> that's
just been introduced into the Colorado legislature which would allow
Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) to study, manage and conserve rare native
plants and native invertebrates including insects like monarch butterflies,
bumble bees and other important insect species. The bill provides the
management authority for CPW to research, monitor, and take conservation
actions for invertebrates and rare plants as they do for mammals, birds,
and other animals. We're looking for scientists to sign this letter to show
the legislature that there is broad support for changing state-level
policies to allow for the conservation of declining species of insects and
rare plants. Unfortunately, in Colorado and in several other states,
insects are not considered wildlife and the state wildlife agency is not
authorized to work towards their conservation. We think that this bill has
a good chance of passing, and are really hoping that Colorado can serve as
yet another model for how states that don’t have the authority to manage
insects, can make policy changes so that declining pollinators and rare
plants are protected.

Link to letter and form for adding your name:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe1uLQ3F0cQ45R86-IYaKR4e6_T3zSxouLoeoEfbskqwvGVwQ/viewform

Thank you for considering this request, and please feel free to forward it
to other scientists who may want to add their names.

________

*Matthew Shepherd*
Director of Outreach & Education
Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
(503) 212-0802   |   matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
*he / him / his*