[Pollinator] Ask A Bumble Bee Floral Summary - Genus Level

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 30 17:46:13 PST 2024

     Ask a Bumblebee (AABB) - results

Many of you will recall that we started a program to look at floral use and bumble bees with a concentration of effort in the northeastern United States, funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and led by Jenan El-Hifnawi.

https://u.osu.edu/askabumble/

After entering almost a thousand surveys (still a bunch of surveys to enter from outside of the Northeast region, sorry Ohio!) And a great deal of work on developing metrics associating these implants while accounting for issues such as the dispersion and commonness of the plants in an area as well as the relative commonness of bumblebees at a site.

We have five different metrics now that we use to inform us about preference using these data and using these various measures of corrected bumblebee counts and corrected measurements of plant abundance we have produced results for 109 different plant genera. Plant species information will come, but there was such an overwhelming amount of data that it made sense to start with summarizing things over a plant genus. We filter the data in a number of ways but in order to get onto our list a plant genus had to occur on at least 30 different surveys.

As we go along we are producing emails that document a lot of the gory details of the process, including spreadsheets and we are happy to share. Email Jenan at bumblebeecount at gmail.com<mailto:bumblebeecount at gmail.com> to get on our list. We are working our way towards a publication, but we are still a ways off.

So, using a combination of metrics we will present three groups of plant genera. The first are the genera that get high relative bumblebee use. We also have a list of moderately used plant genera, and a final group that gets little to no visitation by bumblebees.

Two caveats. First, just because they don't get visited by bumblebees doesn't mean they're not valuable for other species. Second, there is a lot going on at the species level and some of the moderate use genera may have species with high use in with other species having abysmal use. Those nuances will start to come out when we do the species analyses.

Yes, we know that some of your favorites have been downgraded on this list but perhaps your observations will be vindicated when we do the species level (I want to say that we had over 600 plant species involved in this project) analysis.

Biasing factors will be discussed as we get further into the report, because it is clear that such things as early morning visitation is missed (witness the not so great visitation score for Partridge Pea), but, this is the beginning and the data are available for people who want to model all the many different kinds of factors that a large data set like this exposes.

Finally, a great shout out to our participants. To get this many surveys in the first year of the project with only a few thousand dollar budget (thank you Jenan and Jarrod Fowler, you certainly did more work than you were paid for) is amazing. We also want to say thank you so much to Denise Ellsworth for hosting the website even though we have let you down by not including any of the Ohio data (yet). Thank you to Region Five Fish and Wildlife Service for funding this project.

High Use Genera. Hopefully the formatting comes through on this table!

Common Name
FGenus
Vetches
Vicia