[Grupito] Fwd: For grupiteros: Critiques of Fuentes/Chac Mool

ecomujeres at aol.com ecomujeres at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 20:29:38 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas J. McGuire <tmcguire en covad.net>
To: ecomujeres en aol.com
Sent: Tue, Jul 27, 2010 8:00 pm
Subject: For grupiteros: Critiques of Fuentes/Chac Mool

I left the last tertulia wanting to know more abt Chac Mool y Fuentes. Since then, I've read a few critiques of that story and of Fuentes en general, that some grupiteros might like to read.  If you distribute this note, I'll send the files to whoever is interested.

Sidebar:

This morning I was talking with my pal Guillermo (http://www.galindog.com/), un avantgarde musician, nacio en el DF, de ~40 anos.  I felt exasperated or confused with all the attention paid to ancient deities o símbolos en la literatura latinoamericana. I doubted that contemporary mexicanos cared abt all that stuff. I wondered, “Do you guys <really> pay attention to those old stories?”

First off, I knew Guillermo <did> pay attention to those roots, due to his use of tradition in his music. Then he recalled a recent visit to Mexico City, where from his hotel window he could see ancient pyramids next to modern rascacielos, He saw Chac Mool  statues en el subway, and noticed that the  curriculum in the schools his nieces attended emphasized  those tradiciones.  He said he had adapted   Chac Mool to a video when he was an art student. Whether the typical meixicano emphasizes those roots . . .

So . .. do most Mexicanos pay attention their roots? I don't know. Certainly in some lugares, indigenous lenguages y traiciones prevail.

tm