[HECnet] Adding my node

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Tue Apr 1 19:48:40 PDT 2008

John Floren skrev:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
Zane H. Healy wrote:
> At 7:02 PM -0700 3/30/08, Bob Armstrong wrote:
>>   >Would it also solve his Firewall problem, if he's the one initiating
>>> the connection?
>>
>>     I don't think so - he'll still have to configure his router to accept
>> incoming UDP packets on port 700 and forward them to his VAX.
>
> Ugh, you're right, I forgot what a nightmare that was with my Firewall.

If it were to use TCP, things would be a lot easier in this regard.
However, with UDP, you need to set things up more explicitly, since the
incoming and outgoing traffic isn't really related from the UDP protocol
point of view. UDP don't have the concept of a connection.

              Johnny

Ok, I guess it would be best to use the bridge program. I should be
able to get a port forwarded to my laptop; I'll have to look a little
deeper to see what I need to do to get the laptop to re-forward that
port on to the Alpha (should just be an iptables command, I hope,
which I could add to the current gateway setup script).
Johnny, since nobody else has offerred to be the other end of my
tunnel, I guess I'll be making the hop to Uppsala.

Alright. Let's go with that for now.

Let me know when you want to experiment with this. We might as well take it off list...

email: bqt at update.uu.se                     ||   Reading murder books