[HECnet] Re: Hecnet addition

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at dell.com
Fri Aug 22 17:18:59 PDT 2008

"Johnny" == Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

Johnny> Hmm. As far as I know, HECnet have never made use of any
Johnny> homemade hardware. However, the first links I used, were over
Johnny> serial ports talking DDCMP, that I tunneled. I could still do
Johnny> that, if needed. It's even simpler than bridging
Johnny> ethernet. The only "problem" is that asynch serial DECnet
Johnny> don't go any faster than 9600 bps. Atleast under RSX.
Johnny> Another problem is that as far as I can tell, only RSX and
Johnny> VMS supports that.

RSTS does too (for sufficiently recent versions, like V10 or so) --
though the NCP bits don't seem to be there.   But there's a driver and
it can be told to turn on if you issue the DECnet control syscalls
directly.

On a Pro it even works in synchronous mode (because there the "UART"
is actually a USART).

    paul