[HECnet] IRC Server

Tore Sinding Bekkedal toresbe at ifi.uio.no
Sun Aug 17 19:29:49 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 16:37 +0100, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Guys,

I've set up an IRC server for our use on silverback.sampsa.com port
6655 (non-standard port, I know).

I'll be hanging out on channel #hecnet as often as I can.

   Although I think that putting up an IRC channel for HECnet is a
fantastic idea, and I'm connecting after hitting "Send" - who knows, it
might lead to the development of a proper VMS-style IRC client - I'm
quite opposed to the "network per channel" thing: It strikes me a bit as
having a mail server for each address, or insisting on setting up a new
computer for every user account.

Can't we please do this on a recognized, stable network - Freenode
(irc.freenode.net) strikes me as being a very nice network for this kind
of thing, and it already has a healthy #vms. I'll be in #hecnet there
myself.

I don't have any active hosts at the moment either - it is still summer!
- but I still feel entitled to whine ;)

Regards,
-Tore :)