[HECnet] IRC Server

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Aug 17 19:47:52 PDT 2008

At 11:49 AM -0500 8/17/08, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
Sampsa Laine wrote:
Guys,

I've set up an IRC server for our use on silverback.sampsa.com port 6655 (non-standard port, I know).

I'll be hanging out on channel #hecnet as often as I can.

There's something about using IRC for DEC stuff that strikes me as inconsistent.   (I'm being a real DEC/VMS bigot here...)

Better if there were a multi-user version of PHONE. :)
DECNotes isn't real time...

Alas - I'm not entitled to an opinion, since my systems off-line now anyway!

Well the only DECnotes server I'm aware of is currently powered off, and won't be back on HECnet for at least a month.   Right now it is so hot most of my stuff is powered down (major heat wave), my Area Router was already off due to a howling fan, and now we're getting ready to move.   We hope heat will be less of an issue in the new place, and I'm going to pay more attention to setting things up in such a way that I can stay online all the time.   I suspect once I get back online it will be with either a VAXstation 4000/60 or /90 as my area router instead of the /vlc.

ISTR seeing at least IRC clients for VMS, but am not sure.   I've never bothered to figure out IRC.

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com (primary)       | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |