[HECnet] Howling VAX

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jul 5 17:56:39 PDT 2008

At 9:55 AM +0100 7/5/08, Christine Caulfield wrote:
Zane H. Healy wrote:
I brought PDXVAX up just now to discover two different problems, one is that bearings are acting up on one or more of the fans for my VAXstation 4000/vlc,

Yours too eh?

This is actually the second time I've had this problem, the last time as I recall, after being down for a few months, I tried upgrading to either my Model 60 or Model 90, only to discover it wouldn't really fit, AND than the VLC had stopped howling.

I really need to figure out some kind of noise enclosure for our Dining Room that will allow proper cooling of the hardware!   I'm getting sick of the noise that the two 3-drive JBOD boxes with 10,000RPM SCSI drives make, and the XP1000 they're connected to is just about as noisy. :^(   The fact that she hasn't complained about the noise goes to show just how understanding of a wife I have!

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com (primary)       | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |