[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Christine Caulfield christine.caulfield at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:22:17 PDT 2008

On 25 Jun 2008, at 19:19, Angela Kahealani wrote:

I'm new to this...
is there an area router software for Linux?

I have a Linux box with two NICs, and want to run KLH10 TOPS-20
(which I understand needs its own NIC) and wonder if I can run
on the remaining Linux NIC an area router in Linux software?
And run the bridge program between DECNET and TCP-IP...
and link/route all that to your bridge?
or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I was hoping to contribute to HECNET as much as possible,
adding to its' redundant routing and DECNET-TCP/IP bridging.

Being located on the Hawaiian islands, and not knowing any other
Hawaiian HECnet nodes, I thought it might be useful as a routing point.

The Linux kernel has DECnet routine built into it, it's just a matter of enabling it at boot time or it will default to an end-node. If you need something to fill in the routing tables for areas, then the dnroute daemon can do that for you.

None of this is fantastically-well tested though. But it worked for me once ;-)

See http://linux-decnet.wiki.sourceforge.net/FAQ2#router

If you're running Debian then it's quite easy (I hope!) to edit /etc/defaults/decnet to set up routing.

...let us know how you get one!

Chrissie