[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Wed Jun 25 19:19:34 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 06:40:18 you wrote:
Zane H. Healy wrote:
I'm not sure how much traffic gets routed, but I've got a decent
amount of bandwidth available as well.

I've never really noticed any real hit on my bandwidth.

So how do I get started with the node numbers and what-not?

Hopefully Johnny will show up sometime soon, he is the central
registry for such things.   You need to figure out if you just need
a node number or two, or an area.   Most people don't need an area,
and in order to have an area, you need an area router.   I suspect
most of us have our own areas for historical reasons (i.e. one of
our systems was originally in such and such area).

Right. If anyone wants an area, and have an area router, just say so.
There are still plenty of unallocated areas, and I don't really see
it as likely that we'll run out of them.

	Johnny

I'm new to this...
is there an area router software for Linux?

I have a Linux box with two NICs, and want to run KLH10 TOPS-20
(which I understand needs its own NIC) and wonder if I can run
on the remaining Linux NIC an area router in Linux software?
And run the bridge program between DECNET and TCP-IP...
and link/route all that to your bridge?
or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I was hoping to contribute to HECNET as much as possible,
adding to its' redundant routing and DECNET-TCP/IP bridging.

Being located on the Hawaiian islands, and not knowing any other
Hawaiian HECnet nodes, I thought it might be useful as a routing point.

Aloha, Angela Kahealani
--
"(I'll) Be Seeing You..."       All information and transactions are
private between the parties, and are non negotiable.     All rights