[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jun 25 00:17:46 PDT 2008

Zane H. Healy skrev:
At 12:03 AM +0200 6/25/08, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Bob Armstrong wrote:
  I have one machine running Ubuntu w/DECnet here and haven't had any
problems, but my machine is just an end node.
Don't try to talk with anything but VMS, though... ;-)

  Does the DECnet/Linux just not implement RTERM?   Or are there deeper
problems?

Don't know. But they do implement CTERM. But it only works against VMS. Same for NFT and PHONE.
The implementors have only had VMS systems to test against, to their defence. And I think it might be a piece of reverse engineering on their part as well.
I'm pretty sure I was able to connect to my RSX-11M 4.2 system back nearly 10 years ago using DECnet/Linux.   As I recall it didn't work the best, but at least I was able to log in and do some stuff.

10 years ago?
Wow. I didn't even know DECnet/Linux existed, much less worked, back in the 90s.
But anyway, I tried it maybe five years ago, and was not encouraged. It barely worked for a short period before hanging, each time I tried it.

But that's just what I can recollect now, and as I said, this was q number of years ago. Maybe things are better today. Anyone with a Linux machine on HECnet who cares to try doing a set host to MIM?