[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 24 18:47:58 PDT 2008

At 7:23 PM +0200 6/24/08, Johnny Billquist wrote:
NetBSD is "preferred" by me personally, but the bridge program is mostly running on Linux boxes I think. :-)
I have it running on both Linux and NetBSD myself, and others have run it on OpenBSD, and I think FreeBSD as well. It can probably be made to run on

I'm running on OpenBSD.

I have actually also done DDCMP connections in the past. DDCMP is basically just a serial line, so I tunneled that traffic using some freeware with a little massaging. I could probably set something like that up again, if needed.
Don't know if anything but RSX and VMS supported DECnet over asynch serial lines, though.

According to Megan DECnet for RT-11 only runs over serial lines, of course as no one has been able to come up with a copy...

I've also talking a bit with John Wilson (who writes E11) about possibly adding the bridging code directly in E11, so that you'd have an ethernet interface which would go directly out on the net. That's not working yet, but if people are interested, I'm sure John could cook that up fast enough.

That would likely be of interest to several people, I can't help but think it would at least increase the number part time nodes on HECnet.

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com (primary)       | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |