[HECnet] DECnet/Linux tunnels

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Wed Jun 25 19:44:22 PDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Christine Caulfield wrote:

Bob Armstrong wrote:
Christine Caulfield wrote:
My Linux nodes seem to talk with your RSX machines quite happily ... well, mostly ...

  Does DECnet/Linux have any kind of DECnet-over-IP tunneling ability?

You should be able to encapsulate DECnet in a GRE tunnel, yes.

I don't know anyone who has tried it though!

At one time I had a SimH VAX at on my Linux home server, and a real Alpha at my workshop. Each site had an ADSL line and an OpenBSD router, and DECnet via an Ethernet-over-IP tunnel worked fine. I had both systems in a LAVC for a while, but even a show sys/clu was slow, and occasionally the cluster would break for no apparent reason.

Andrew