[HECnet] Adding my node

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:22:16 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
Zane H. Healy wrote:
At 7:02 PM -0700 3/30/08, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Would it also solve his Firewall problem, if he's the one initiating
the connection?

  I don't think so - he'll still have to configure his router to accept
incoming UDP packets on port 700 and forward them to his VAX.

Ugh, you're right, I forgot what a nightmare that was with my Firewall.

If it were to use TCP, things would be a lot easier in this regard.
However, with UDP, you need to set things up more explicitly, since the
incoming and outgoing traffic isn't really related from the UDP protocol
point of view. UDP don't have the concept of a connection.

              Johnny

Ok, I guess it would be best to use the bridge program. I should be
able to get a port forwarded to my laptop; I'll have to look a little
deeper to see what I need to do to get the laptop to re-forward that
port on to the Alpha (should just be an iptables command, I hope,
which I could add to the current gateway setup script).
Johnny, since nobody else has offerred to be the other end of my
tunnel, I guess I'll be making the hop to Uppsala.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn