[HECnet] Adding my node

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 31 11:04:05 PDT 2008

Zane H. Healy wrote:
At 7:02 PM -0700 3/30/08, Bob Armstrong wrote:
>Would it also solve his Firewall problem, if he's the one initiating
the connection?

  I don't think so - he'll still have to configure his router to accept
incoming UDP packets on port 700 and forward them to his VAX.
Ugh, you're right, I forgot what a nightmare that was with my Firewall.

If it were to use TCP, things would be a lot easier in this regard. However, with UDP, you need to set things up more explicitly, since the incoming and outgoing traffic isn't really related from the UDP protocol point of view. UDP don't have the concept of a connection.