[HECnet] Adding my node

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Mon Mar 31 05:17:44 PDT 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Bob Armstrong wrote:

It could be more complicated than that... here's my setup, tell me
what you think:

[Internet]----[router]~~~wireless~~~[laptop]-----[Alpha and VAX]

  You'll have to get all those gateways to pass packets on port 700, for
  sure.   I don't think Johnny's program will be any different, though,
  except for the port number.   I could be wrong, though.

Bob

The networking isn't that hard, but I don't know if I would trust a laptop
over wireless to handle your traffic.   Most of the Linksys wireless setups
also have a 4 line switch that you could plug a cat5 hardline into.   I'm
not sure if I understand correctly that he is using a router AND a Linksys
or if he is just using the Linksys as his connection to the internet.   I'm
currently using both in my home network and just set the Linksys to router
(instead of gateway) so that I only have to setup the reverse NAT forwards
on my firewall.   This works perfectly for my interior network as well as
the IRLP node that I setup for my brother.

Sorry Bob, I still am missing a SCSI cdrom drive (should never toss those)
to get VMS 8.3 installed on my AlphaStations or I would probably be online
already (have the cd, just not the time).   It's been a very long time for
me since sitting behind VMS 4.6, I'm sure the help I'll need is the basics
instead of getting on HECnet.   I found an old MicroVax 3100 at school, got
it running (it's running VMS 5.4), but for the life of me, I can't think
of what I need to do to add entries into the UAF for new users.

Also noticed when it came up all the licenses had expired.   What do I need
to do to get the hobby licenses from HP when I get 8.3 running?   Thanks.

Brett