[HECnet] Projects...?

Fred fcoffey at misernet.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 6 14:25:35 PDT 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Brett Bump wrote:

I don't know if Angela's comment that Wikis have superseded BBS programs
is correct or not (I just assumed the internet and http did that job).

I have enough folks that are "old school" that would enjoy something like this, even more so on the amateur radio/packet side.   I'm not going as far as implementing AX.25->HECNet, but I'll integrate the Alpha somehow ...

Heck, I still use (al)pine as my primary e-mail client.   People know not to send me all-HTML e-mail or they know it will get instantly deleted .. :)

As far as proejcts go, I wrote a program in Basic (called it HECWATCH) that watches my current IP address reported by MultiNet, and if it changes, mails the result to predefined addresses.   I have it running on MISER, and the only part I'm still trying to figure out is the mail routine I ripped from OpenVMS Ask The Wizard - it doesn't seem to like and address with a foreign transport, i.e. SMTP%"foo at bar.org".   As soon as I nail that bug, it's good to go.

One of my winter projects (when I'm indoors more) is to set up a bar tab system.   I built a rec room of sorts in my basement, and just because I can wanted to write a little system of who owes me what for the kegs me and my friends split the cost on.   Plus, it would be an excuse to dive in and learn about the record-based files that OpenVMS provides.   I'm probably going to also try to implement some routines from the SMG libraries to make it more terminal friendly.

... and I probably need to rearrange the home office too.   I'm having problems walking in there with all the equipment scattered about. :)

Cheers,

Fred

----
Lets call it for what it is - "legacy" is a term that people use in a
polite but derogatory manner to imply that the future direction they
prefer is not that which they view as the current direction.