[HECnet] FDDI and DECNET, clustering

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 04:18:14 PDT 2009

Sampsa Laine wrote:
On 8 Apr 2009, at 21:34, Paul Koning wrote:
Sampsa> Anybody know how I would go about cabling such a beast, there
Sampsa> are four fibre optic ports on these things?

Wow, that takes me back a bunch of years...

Well I do try, I'm going to wire up a CBM 128D running CP/M as the OPA0: on one of these eventually :)
There are two basic FDDI cabling approches: dual ring, and tree of
concentrators.   The DEFPA can be hooked up either way because it has
the two ports (type A and B ports).

If you have other FDDI devices that also have A or B ports, just plug
A to B in a circular fashion, and you have a dual ring.   This is the
topology that FDDI originally started with early in its development.
So if I have two dual port PCI cards, one in machine 1, one in machine 2, I wire them:
1.A.         ->                 2.B
2.A               ->                 1.B

No,

1.	A -> B
2.	B -> A

to make a circle.