[HECnet] Need help with DECnet routing

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at dell.com
Tue Apr 7 17:30:13 PDT 2009

"Marc" == Marc Chametzky <marc at bluevine.net> writes:

Marc you might also double check your cabling (in fact even change
them).
Marc> There is no cabling between the two systems. Both LULU and
Marc> DUSTY are virtual systems running on the same ESXi hardware.

Marc> At least that's one issue I don't have to worry about. :-)

Marc> I'm still thinking it has something to do with Personal Alpha's
Marc> network handling. I know that they play funny games between
Marc> promiscuous mode and regular, and since I did set the Windows
Marc> network adapter to have the right hardware address for DECnet,
Marc> it's not using promiscuous mode, and perhaps it's not
Marc> recognizing some of the multicast packets. That's a silly thing
Marc> to consider, but I imagine it's possible.

With virtual hardware you might have virtually any problem...

Clearly if you have multiple DECnet nodes, each of them will need to
set its own DECnet-style MAC address.   You should verify that your
virtualization setup is capable of supporting that.

Marc> I suppose it's also possible that DUSTY isn't able to send out
Marc> the hello packets. That I could find by snooping quite
Marc> easily. I wonder whether Wireshark on the virtual Windows
Marc> system would give me a decent idea of what DUSTY is sending
Marc> out... or at least what LULU /could/ be seeing.

It should.   Certainly it should see the multicast packets.   That will
let you confirm that they are there, and that they have the correct
MAC address.   Any reasonable wireshark or Ethereal (same thing,
different name) should be able to parse DECnet frames well enough to
help you walk through them.   The protocol specs are also available
on-line.

	paul