[HECnet] Need help with DECnet routing

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Tue Apr 7 14:18:28 PDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Marc Chametzky wrote:

I think I'm going to set up MultiNet on the Alpha and try using a TCP
circuit between LULU and DUSTY. This will tell me whether it's a DECnet
routing issue or an Ethernet packet one.

Well, with a DECnet-over-IP circuit instead, it's working just fine with
both nodes seeing each other's adjacency, and from LULU I can connect to
LEGATO.

So, some sort of Personal Alpha networking glitch. That's surprising
since I do have the two nodes clustered, so that's working. I wonder
what's not working right with DECnet routing multicasts.

Well, this may be suboptimal, but it works well enough and that's all
that matters.

--Marc

Marc you might also double check your cabling (in fact even change them).
As I recall, DECnet (like IPX) is not an error correcting protocol.   I've
worked on networks where TCP will error correct for poor cabling while the
Novell connections fell flat on their faces.   This could explain why your
IP connection seems to work fine, but you have no DECnet connectivity.

Brett