[HECnet] Need help with DECnet routing

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Mon Apr 6 20:05:24 PDT 2009

Must be some problem with either of the nodes then, because normally the adjacency will come up, when the end node starts receiving the router hellos.
Can you monitor the Ethernet with a protocol analyzer? You should see the hellos from both nodes.

I think I can try this. The setup is a bit more complicated than I'd like.

One more thing to check: you might have some equipment filtering multicast packets on the Ehternet. Like e.g. a routing switch. Also firewalls (software in a PC) might do that. I assume you run the Personal Alpha on a PC.

It's Personal Alpha running on a virtualized Windows XP guest running on an ESXi host. In comparison, the VAX is running on a virtualized Ubuntu guest running on the same ESXi host. Since networking seems to be working on the VAX, I'm thinking that it has something to do with the way Personal Alpha does its networking. I wonder whether it's not getting some of the multicasts.

--Marc