[HECnet] Who's emulating?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Aug 22 03:12:55 PDT 2009

From: Mark Abene <phiber at phiber.com>

Call me crazy, but I just don't think I'll be paying 4,000
dollars for E11/linux.   So that's out.

Why, is this for commercial use?   I mean, it won't address this specific
problem since I've never finished the XM: emulation in E11 (no real interest
from users, but I've been meaning to get it done anyway it just on principle,
especially since I rewrote the Ethernet link code for dual-DR11W IPLs a
while back to make it general enough to be able to encapsulate protocols
like DDCMP so that connections between like E11 machines would be easy), but
hobby users can use the Demo version of E11 (for Linux or any other host OS)
for free, indefinitely.   It has some cripples, but it's still pretty luxurious
compared to any real PDP-11 system I ever had...

I was wondering the same thing myself John.   The last I checked the "limitations" in the Demo/Hobbyist version were pretty generous, and your networking code worked a *LOT* better.   I for one appreciate you allowing Hobby users to use your product.

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com (primary)       | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |