[HECnet] Who's emulating?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 20 23:29:27 PDT 2009

Yeah. WIth RSTS/E V8, asynch DDCMP is out of the quesion.
Does it support ethernet?

Hmm, what phase is it?

	Johnny

Mark Abene wrote:
Unfortunately, given my preference to using RSTS/E v8, I must use
DECnet/E v2.0.   Those DECnet drivers only support a DMC or DMR device
(seen as "XM" in RSTS), or a DMP or DMV device (seen as "XD" in RSTS).
Based on what you're saying, the patch would not solve this problem?
Paul Koning wrote:
Excerpt of message (sent 20 August 2009) by Mark Abene:
Serious?   Are you actually emulating a DMC11?   I'm intrigued...
Yes.

Or rather, the terminal driver contains an implementation of the DDCMP
protocol.   So it can talk to async DDCMP devices -- just as RSX did
for years.   Until V10, DECnet/E only did DMC/DMR type DDCMP devices.

On a Pro, which has a USART (not UART) console port, it even speaks
sync DDCMP if you want so it can talk to a DMC or DMR (and that works,
I tested it).   On other PDP-11s it will use any of the async lines and
speak async DDCMP.

          paul