[HECnet] Who's emulating?

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at dell.com
Thu Aug 20 22:39:20 PDT 2009

Excerpt of message (sent 20 August 2009) by Mark Abene:
Serious?   Are you actually emulating a DMC11?   I'm intrigued...

Yes.

Or rather, the terminal driver contains an implementation of the DDCMP
protocol.   So it can talk to async DDCMP devices -- just as RSX did
for years.   Until V10, DECnet/E only did DMC/DMR type DDCMP devices.

On a Pro, which has a USART (not UART) console port, it even speaks
sync DDCMP if you want so it can talk to a DMC or DMR (and that works,
I tested it).   On other PDP-11s it will use any of the async lines and
speak async DDCMP.

          paul