[HECnet] Who's emulating?

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at dell.com
Thu Aug 20 22:30:21 PDT 2009

Excerpt of message (sent 20 August 2009) by Mark Abene:
While I have been running three public access emulated systems for a few
years now (TOPS-20 on KLH10, RSTS/E v8 and 2.11BSD on SIMH), there are
several problems with me getting on HECnet.   First, my host server is
FreeBSD, and FreeBSD doesn't support multicast on tap network
interfaces, nor have I heard about any plans to.   Which means no DECnet.
At some point I plan to migrate my emulators over to a beefy linux
server, and linux does have the necessary support.   Second problem, is
that SIMH doesn't support any DDCMP-aware network devices, which means
that even if I solve the first problem (it'll allow me to get TOPS-20 on
DECnet), I don't have any way via SIMH to get DECnet/E working on my
RSTS system.   Call me crazy, but I just don't think I'll be paying 4,000
dollars for E11/linux.   So that's out.

Could you get RSTS/E V10?   If so, you could run DDCMP over an async
terminal line.

	paul