[HECnet] Who's emulating?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 22:18:58 PDT 2009

Johnny Billquist wrote:
Mark Wickens wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a couple of 4000/90s and a 4000/60 at least one of which I'd like to get onto HECnet in the near future. Could someone let me know if the router software will compile and run ok under netbsd, as I have a low-power box running that 24/7 at the moment, so this would be the ideal option for me.

Since NetBSD actually is what I'm (still) running myself, the answer is very much yes. :-)

      Johnny

Well,

As the box is on 24/7 and I'm currently running off a 56k modem I thought I'd give it a whirl - compiles fine, not sure what to do next (I copied bridge.conf.orig and edited the [bridge] section to contain 'local ex0' - ex0 being the ethernet device - am I at least along the right lines?) I get an 'Error opening device' if I try $ bridge 50000 as a normal user, and possibly (in the unix philosophy) a nicer reply (ie nothing) if I run it as root with the same port number).

All good things to try from a caravan with the wind howling. I can turn my VAX or remotely, so we could have had this cracked by this evening, except that both the glass and the bottle are almost empty...

Mark.