[HECnet] Who's emulating?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 20 20:29:22 PDT 2009

Marc Chametzky wrote:
The recent downtime thread has sparked much discussion about a variety of DEC (and perhaps some Compaq) hardware, but who among us is living in HECnet lives in software?

Let's see now. Among the systems I manage...

1.1 (MAGICA)       Unreachable

A real 11/70. Only powered on intermittently, but standing ready by the turn of the key. Used to be running 24/7 until a few years ago. Services were moved over to MIM.

1.2 (ERNIE)         Unreachable   0             4

A real 11/84. Running 2.11BSD as I write this, but running RSX when on HECnet.

1.3 (FNATTE)       Unreachable

A real 11/73. Running RSX. I doubt I'll resurrect that one.

1.4 (GOBLIN)       Unreachable

A uVAX 3500. But I think it has been lost to history.

1.5 (ZEKE)           Unreachable

This was a VAX 6440. Decomissioned.

1.6 (GNOME)         Unreachable

A real VAXstation 3100/76

1.7 (BJARNE)       Unreachable

AlphaStation 255. Currently not in running order, but nothing seriously wrong with it.

1.8 (KRILLE)       Unreachable

A real VAX-8650. Almost ready by just turning a key as well. Same place as MAGICA. We have a budget "problem" as well as a cooling problem, which is why the machine isn't doing much. To run it, I might need to reconnect a console, as well as separately turning on the cabinets with disks in them, and the HSC-90.

1.9 (TEMPO)         Unreachable

Linux

1.10 (SIGGE)       Unreachable

A real VAX-7720. We should upgrade it to an 7810 sooner or later. We should have the cpu card somewhere... Running in short order, much like KRILLE.

1.11 (ROCKY)       Unreachable

AlphaServer 7000. Decomissioned.

1.12 (PONY)         Unreachable

AS2100. Decomissioned.

1.13 (MIM)

Emulated (E11). Pretends it's an 11/74. Up 24/7.

1.14 (TINA)         Unreachable

Emulated. KLH-10. (Really Bjorn Victors responsibility.)

1.15 (PONDUS)     Reachable       0             4           UNA-0               1.15 (PONDUS)

A real 11/93. Normally running 24/7.

1.16 (GNAT)         Unreachable   0             4

VAXstation 4000/90. Sometimes on, sometimes off.

1.17 (JOSSE)       Unreachable   0             30

PC running Windows XP.

1.18 (PAMINA)     Unreachable

Emulated. KLH-10. Also Bjorn Victor.

1.19 (BEA)           Unreachable   0             30

A real PRO-380 running P/OS.

1.20 (KNASE)       Unreachable

Another real 11/70. We have some problem with that machine right now. I think it's a power supply, but we haven't had time to work on it for a while.

We have a third 11/70 as well, which we haven't really looked through yet. Might do something with that one eventually.

Well, that's what I know. :-)