[HECnet] What DEC created operating systems support the networking protocol used?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:41:15 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Paul Koning<Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:
It would depend on how big "the whole business" is.

I looked in http://elvira.stacken.kth.se/rsts/rsts_80th_birthday.html
for a memory refresh.   DECnet/E appeared in RSTS/E V6C.   That was Phase
II -- no routing, DMC/DMR only.   For 2 or 3 nodes, that was a useable
version.

Phase III (single level routing) appeared in V7.1.   (That was my project
-- first RSTS/E project I worked on if you ignore a week on PIP in the
V6B timeframe.)   That would serve for installations up to about 250
nodes.   DMP/DMV support was added, including multipoint.

Ethernet support and DECnet phase IV (level 1 routing and endnode only,
no area routing) appeared in V9.3.   It took so long because it was hard
to convince management to allow the work in the first place.   There was
a sentiment that Ethernet wasn't interesting for PDP-11s, and/or that no
RSTS system lived in a network bigger than a few dozen nodes (so Phase
IV wasn't needed).   The latter argument may have been valid -- I never
did run into any really large DECnet networks apart from the one inside
DEC.

So anyway... unless you want lots of nodes, or multi-area addressing,
Phase III will serve which means V7.1 or later is ok.   Oh yes, you do
need DDCMP then.   Ethernet or Phase IV require 9.3 or later; async DDCMP
requires 10.0 or later.

           paul