[HECnet] Downtime next week

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 20 20:33:18 PDT 2009

Chrissie Caulfield wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:
Zane H. Healy wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Zane, got any RSTS/E system up now? Might be interesting to hear if
it could talk with RSX...
I *STILL* need to find the cables to get my systems up and running. I have
a 20Mbit *Commercial* FIOS line basically going to waste, since until my
servers are up and running a residential line would work just fine
for me.

My RSTS/E system is actually in worse shape than PDXVAX and MONK.   At
least
they're in the racks, though they aren't cabled up.   The BA123
chassis for
CAMECA is sitting under the workbench in the garage, while I think
most of
the boards are over in the corner where it will live.   Realistically
I don't
see me being online for at least another couple months, as I have a
lot of
work to do on the house before the weather gets to bad.

I really miss having my VMS systems online 24x7, or being able to flip a
switch and have a PDP-11 powered up.
Maybe it's just me who's crazy enough to keep several PDP-11 (and
PDP-8) systems up and running at home... :-)

But anyway. DECnet (well, phone, DAP and CTERM) between RSX and Linux
isn't really working, even though it should be pretty similar to
talking with VMS systems (from Linux point of view).

That's bizarre, because I regularly used to use dnlogin on Linux to
connect to MIM (and I also tried it back again) when I was setting up
the link.
I did also do a few file transfers, though they were very basic, so
probably didn't stretch anything very much :)

Hmm. Have you done something then?
Becuase when I tried dlogin, it worked pretty ok, except some packet(s)
broke with the protocol implementation in RSX. And at that point, I also
found that there was some kind of bug in the RSX implementation, because
when I got the protocol errors (usually resulting in a lost connection),
I could also observe that DECnet in RSX was loosing buffers somewhere
that weren't reclaimed. After a while of this, the only thing to do was
to reboot RSX (yes, that is a bug in RSX, but there is/was also a bug in
LAT from Linux, which in turn triggered the bug in RSX.)

As for file trasnfers, I basically never managed to get it to work in
any direction, initiated from any direction.

Admittedly, this was many years ago now (I'd say atleast around five
years ago). Perhaps you have fixed a few things since then?