[HECnet] DECnet area router configuration

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Thu Dec 3 11:12:30 PST 2009

gerry77 at mail.com wrote:
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:16:27 -0800, you wrote:
with DECnet Phase IV installed.   I've been going through every document I can find, but I can't find anything that talks about setting up a level 2 (area) router.   What do I have to do different from a normal (level 1) router?   I'd appreciate any pointers.   Let me know if you'd like to see any diagnostic output.
At the moment I cannot remember if @SYS$MANAGER:NETCONFIG.COM asks something
about configuring a node as an area router, but I'm assuming that it doesn't
ask anything, or you wouldn't be here asking for help. :-)
As a starting point you may just type the following:
$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:NCP
NCP> SET EXECUTOR STATE SHUT
NCP> DEFINE EXECUTOR TYPE AREA
NCP> EXIT
$ @SYS$MANAGER:STARTNET
If I'm not wrong, this should be enough to transform your node into an area
router; then you may want to revise your configuration to tune it better.
HTH, :-)
G.
.

Yes, quite so.
The NETCONFIG.COM asks only if you want to configure a router or end node. When it asks that you should answer that you want to run the node as a router, but before you start DECnet, you should do the DEFINE statement as in Gerry's message.

It takes some time before the router hello's and endnode hello's traverse the network, but after a while you should see the other areas from your Area router node and others should see your area.

Regards,

Kari