[HECnet] DECnet area router configuration

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Thu Dec 3 10:53:31 PST 2009

On 2009-12-03, at 10:49 AM, gerry77 at mail.com wrote:

At the moment I cannot remember if @SYS$MANAGER:NETCONFIG.COM asks something
about configuring a node as an area router, but I'm assuming that it doesn't
ask anything, or you wouldn't be here asking for help. :-)

As a starting point you may just type the following:

$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:NCP
NCP> SET EXECUTOR STATE SHUT
NCP> DEFINE EXECUTOR TYPE AREA
NCP> EXIT
$ @SYS$MANAGER:STARTNET

If I'm not wrong, this should be enough to transform your node into an area
router; then you may want to revise your configuration to tune it better.

You are correct - NETCONFIG doesn't ask about level 1 or 2 - just whether you're a router or not.   Your commands (which I'm sure I tried some time during the last 24 hours, but I'm not sure) followed by a reboot seems to have fixed it.   Thanks!

SHOW KNOWN AREAS is showing 9 areas, which is good.   SHOW KNOWN NODES isn't showing any new nodes though.   And a TELL 1.400 SHOW KNOWN NODES isn't showing my nodes yet. (I'm area 42 if you start seeing it in the node list).

At least there's some connectivity.   I'll keep working.   Thanks for the help.

Ian.