[HECnet] How do you connect to HECnet?

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Mon Mar 2 07:32:10 PST 2009

My system (DUSTY) is a SIMH VAX running on Linux (ubuntu JeOS) under an
ESXi hypervisor. I've given the Linux system two NICs (that's easy in
ESXi), one for Linux, and one dedicated to the VAX. For my purposes, I
also have the VAX's interface set up on a VLAN to move it onto a
separate virtual network for my "trailing edge" systems.

The VAX speaks DECnet-over-MultiNet to LEGATO.

Yes, the Multinet link provides a second connection into HECnet,
Christine and I have been the sites routing between the two types of
connections.   There were also one or two people using Cisco router
links as well, but I don't know if anyone still has those links up.

Do we need any additional such routing points? Now that I have an ESXi system, it's trivial for me to add another small virtual machine that could act as such a bridge.

--Marc