[HECnet] UDP tunnelling over SSH - Solution for people dynamic IP addresses?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Fri May 15 12:57:22 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 01:27:25PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

But in addition, for this to work, you need to allow the remote users to
get ssh access to your local machine, otherwise ssh can't set up tunneling.
And for me, that's not something I'll do for all you guys... :-)

After we get moved and get settled in, the two VAX 4000 boxes are going to
bet setup again.   I'll also setup a cisco router or two to go along with them.
At that point I'd be willing to do GRE/OpenVPN/SSH/etc for people.

Also, within the next two to three weeks I'll be upgrading my colocated box.
It's got great bandwidth (100MB+) and I'd be more than willing to setup OpenVPN
for HECnet.   I think for our purposes OpenVPN in bridging mode would work best.

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to get DECnet support rolled into something
like OpenVPN?

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of