[HECnet] UDP tunnelling over SSH - Solution for people dynamic IP addresses?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed May 13 15:38:25 PDT 2009

What I was referring to is the cascading time-out problems you can sometimes get tunnelling one TCP connection over another, e.g. HTTP over a PPP over SSH connection:

	3.	HTTP (TCP)
	2.	IP
	1.	PPP
	0. 	SSH (TCP)

Sometimes if a time-out occurs and layers 0 and 3 have different retransmission timers, the retransmissions kill the whole shebang.

More details can be found at: http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html

Not sure if this will be a problem with NSP over TCP however, but I can imagine it might be (if the NSP retransmission timer is faster than the underlying TCP timers).

Sampsa