[HECnet] Boot VAX from Alpha host Infoserver?

Chrissie Caulfield Christine.Caulfield at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 27 01:50:31 PST 2009

gerry77 at mail.com wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:31:14 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

If I look in LASTCP, I see the VAX as a client - BUT in the Infoserver
software itself, there is no connection to the service that I set up.
It's as almost as the request never makes it to the Alpha -or- the
software on the Alpha doesn't understand the request (as you say) and
ignores it.

If you could test with another Alpha system it would be nice to pinpoint the
differences between a VAX<-->InfoServer and an Alpha<-->InfoServer dialog,
and to ascertain that your configuration works (besides the VAX).

For grins if you'd like I can send you some traces off-list.

My dream, in some remote future, is to have a little InfoServer daemon
running on Linux, just like mopd and latd... Christine... :-)

I've been asked about this a few times actually. But I've never even
seen an info server, let alone owned one - so reverse-engineering the
protocol is probably a little hard ;-)

No offers of hardware though ... please! I'm trying to get rid of
equipment at the moment, not acquire it, sorry.

--
Chrissie