[HECnet] Boot VAX from Alpha host Infoserver?

Fred fcoffey at thrifty.misernet.net
Wed Nov 25 05:31:14 PST 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, gerry77 at mail.com wrote:

request that the host-based thing is not able to understand, so the ISL sits
there until a timeout is reached and an error is sent to the poor user. :-\

You may be on to something here.   I only say this because while sitting in front of Wireshark (ethernet sniffer) I see various LAST protocols come by, and when I look they are from the VAX.

If I look in LASTCP, I see the VAX as a client - BUT in the Infoserver software itself, there is no connection to the service that I set up. It's as almost as the request never makes it to the Alpha -or- the software on the Alpha doesn't understand the request (as you say) and ignores it.

It would be nice to be able to sniff the initial phases of the dialog
between different architecture systems and an InfoServer, just to check if

For grins if you'd like I can send you some traces off-list.

A final silly question: do you have actually seen any VAX installing VMS
from a host-based InfoServer? I have missed this simple "detail"! :-)

I have not.   In fact before about a week ago I did not know the host-based Infoserver software existed and was sitting, waiting on my Alpha!

Right now my current course of action is to set up OpenVMS on SIMH, set that node up as a cluster, and satellite boot the real VAX so I can get access to the disks (cdrom with 7.3 on it).   I installed OpenVMS into the SIM last night, and will hopefully get the networking working tonight.

P.S.: Excuse my English: it's not my native language and sometimes I'm very
dubious about the understandability of my sentences. :-P

No problem whatsoever - I can understand you just fine.

Cheers,

Fred

--- All parts should go together without forcing.   You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.   Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.   By all means, do not use a hammer.
		-- IBM maintenance manual, 1925