[HECnet] Boot VAX from Alpha host Infoserver?

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Mon Nov 23 03:04:10 PST 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:03:50 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

The VAX boots to this file fine.( "b /r5:100 eza0" )   If I make it search
for Infoserver services, it finds the 7.3 distribution service that I set
up using LDDRIVER on the Alpha.   However, when I try to select it (and
hopefully make it "boot" from it) it just sits there for a long time,
eventually saying:

%ISL-F-BADOPEN, unable to locate SYSBOOT

Do you have a working CR-ROM drive at least on the Alpha system? Have you
tried serving a real CD-ROM and not a LD device?

Running wireshark doesn't reveal much - I see the "DEC LAST" protocol
running on the wire, but that's about it.   At this point it *has* to be
something simple.

Just out of my curiosity: does Wireshark dissect the LAD/LAST protocol or
just identifies it (by its Ethertype)?

Would anyone have anything obvious I should be checking?     I have a
feeling I'm *this* close ... :)

If you have another system around (VAX or Alpha doesn't matter), you may
want to try to connect to the Infoserver with the LAD client to ensure that
the service is really working and not just appearing on the network.

Type something like the following:

$ @SYS$STARTUP:ESS$STARTUP DISK
$ LADCP = "$SYS$SYSTEM:ESS$LADCP"
$ LADCP BIND <service_name>
$ MOUNT <DAD$service_name> <served_volume_label>

Then try to do some DIR and such, to see if the disk is remotely readable...

HTH,
G.