[HECnet] VPN?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon Nov 9 08:10:42 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 07:58:59AM -0700, Zane H. Healy wrote:
At 3:31 PM +0000 11/9/09, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I realise that at the moment there aren't many people involved that
do not have static IPs but I think as time goes on consumer grade
ISPs are going to start cutting back on the amount of IPs a
residential customer can have.

With this in mind, might there be some mileage in setting up a VPN
for HECnet use? This way we would not need to worry about whether we
have public static IPs in the future (most VPNs are happy to work
with DYNDNS etc) and it would also add a layer of security to HECnet
without any   changes needed to the bridge etc.

I have to pay for a commercial line, and not simply the low-end
commercial line, but a higher-grade one in order to get a static IP.
That's part of why I have such a fast connection now.   Honestly
between the cost of the commercial line and the added electricity use
it really isn't worth what it's costing me each month to keep this
going since I don't really have time to mess with such things.   :-(

Does it matter if the "client" end of the tunnel has a dynamic IP?   If not
we only need a handful of static IPs.   Once the new box gets put into place
at colo i was going to setup simh on it.   I could be a massive routing hub
if people wanted to connect their tunnels to me.

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of