[HECnet] CODA replaced by CHARON

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:04:24 PST 2009

Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
Bob Armstrong wrote:
CODA is getting an early retirement. It's a very nice machine (a DS20E)
but it uses nearly 500W and with the marginal electricity rate here in
CA at
something like 38 cents/kWh

Here's a comparison you won't enjoy:

Manitoba (Canada) has an electric rate of about $0.06 / kWh, and
something like 99% hydro power. (I think there's one coal plant in the
province.)

But you have to put up with mosquitoes in the summer and -40 (C/F -
doesn't matter) in the winter to get those rates...

TOTALLY worth it.   I don't go outside much anyway, and my computers keep the house uncomfortably warm in the dead of winter.

Peace...   Sridhar