[HECnet] CODA replaced by CHARON

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:16:14 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Phil Mendelsohn <phil at rephil.org> wrote:
Bob Armstrong wrote:

  CODA is getting an early retirement.   It's a very nice machine (a DS20E)
but it uses nearly 500W and with the marginal electricity rate here in CA
at
something like 38 cents/kWh

Here's a comparison you won't enjoy:

Manitoba (Canada) has an electric rate of about $0.06 / kWh, and something
like 99% hydro power.   (I think there's one coal plant in the province.)

But you have to put up with mosquitoes in the summer and -40 (C/F - doesn't
matter) in the winter to get those rates...

Phil

--
"Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt."
--Sir William Cornelius Van Horne

Hello!
I live in a typical NYC apartment where the power costs (including
fuel gas for cooking) are bundled into the rent so they never tell me
the rates.

But the last time I check on the ConEd rates here they were on a par
with both places. And sometimes they were so low the utility needed to
bundle the power (electric) rates with steam and gas to convince us to
believe them. Remember in NYC as well as in some parts of Westchester
CO, Con Ed supplies both gas and electricity, and steam plus the other
two in Manhattan.

So Bob what are you planning on doing with the retiring Alpha system?
How big is he, and so forth.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
messages in English in the Moscow subway."