[HECnet] Alpha emulation?

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sun Nov 1 10:18:13 PST 2009

Guys -

  Sorry to bother you with a question, but I was wondering if anyone who had
tried Charon-AXP-nce was successful at getting DECnet running on OVMS 8.3
under the Charon emulation?

  I installed Charon-AXP-nce (no sweat there, and thanks for the pointer to
it).   It boots and runs OVMS8.3 just fine.   First I used their sample
pre-installed system disk image, and then I mounted the OpenVMS Hobbyist
Alpha CD on the simulated CDROM and re-installed my own OpenVMS.   Registered
hobbyist licenses, etc.   No problems.

  Then I installed a second Ethernet card on my Linux host system.   Had a
little bit of trouble getting udev, Network Manager and DECnet/Linux to all
cooperate on which interfaces to name and use, but I eventually got that all
straightened out.   Now I have an eth1 device which nobody on the Linux host
is messing with.   I modified the start_es40_nce to use eth1 for EWA0.   It
appears to work - I can start DECnet on the emulated OVMS system, and I get
circuit up and adjacency up events from DECnet.   Looks great, but...

  Whenever I try any outgoing connection from the emulated Charon-AXP
system, I always get "network communication error" and "network partner
aborted logical link".   No outgoing connection seems to work; not SET HOST,
not FAL, not NCP, nothing.

  BUT the really weird thing is that it works in the other direction.   I can
go to CODA (a real Alpha system) and SET HOST to the Charon emulated system.
That works just fine, as does NCP, FAL, etc as _inbound_ connections.

  Has anybody seen this behavior with DECnet before, either under emulation
or on real hardware?   What could cause this?

Thanks,
Bob