[HECnet] What about DCL logging?

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Sun Nov 1 03:48:12 PST 2009

Dear All,

I'm looking for some ideas about logging user activity for a guest account.
Up until now I've used image accounting and a batch job doing some cleanup
at every month end (old accounting file closure, guest records extraction,
compression, deletion, etc.), but I'm not very satisfied.

What I'm thinking about is something like .bash_history in Linux and such,
but I cannot figure out how to accomplish something similar either with a
user-written program or with some DCL code and system facilities.

I do know that this wouldn't be a very tight security feature, and anyway
the overall control over the guest account is already quite effective
(/RESTRICTED flag, specific group UIC and login procedure, good ACLs on
TCP/IP, increased system audit, and so on), but I'm just curious about what
guests do when they enter our systems. So, a log of the commands entered at
the DCL prompt would be a very nice bonus and would be also useful to spot
both possible silly break attempts and areas needing improved security.

Any suggestions? :)

Thank you,
G.