[HECnet] RHESUS is (finally) up again

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Wed Oct 28 09:35:58 PDT 2009

MOP running on VMS or NetBSD can serve any of the DECserver platforms.   In some cases you need to associate the MAC address of a DECserver with an image on the load host,   and in other cases the DECserver will request of the load host the image by file name.   I suspect that Linux may be able to do the same as NetBSD.   It is always better to have multiple load hosts available on such a (potentially) large network.

DEC in the Spitbrook Road Facility (ZKO) would run many load hosts per floor.   Most system managers welcomed this so that MOP loading became distributed.   We would use VAXen and InfoServers to support this.   It just plain worked.   I preferred the InfoServers myself because they were so much faster and Field Service would hand you a CD with diagnostics for the various families of VAXen that could all be loaded over the network.   If you have ever tried to load DEC diags via TK50 you would understand the value of this.

-Steve