[HECnet] Next retro comms project?

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Thu Oct 22 10:52:07 PDT 2009

On (10:22 21/10/09), Sampsa Laine wrote:
I'm starting to get concerned that HECnet is almost running TOO well,
i.e. there's not much left to tweak :)

Where should we go from here? Setting up our own virtual X.25 PSDN
tunnelled over IP maybe? Something crazy with SNA?

An ISO TP4 / DECnet Phase V network with IS-IS routing would be very cool,
and support Hobbyist licensed X.400 mail and X.500 directory services,
terminal sessions via VT and file transfer via FTAM. And with a bit of
poking the last free Isode (ISO Development Environment) release - v8.0.2
IIRC - might be made to work on NetBSD.

SNA would be very cool too.

Cheers,

Andrew