[HECnet] Next retro comms project?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Oct 21 15:51:03 PDT 2009

  * DECnet for BSD, especially 2.11 PDP-11 bsd.   Yes, a 16 bit version is
significantly harder than a 32 bit version, I know, but there are several
real PDP11s out there running BSD that could be on HECnet.   I know - I've
got one!   We could use the Linux DECnet as a starting point - the dn
userspace utility programs might not even be that hard to port - but we'd
need a kernel wizard to do the tricky bits :-)

I know just the guy.   If you are serious about this, please let me know and
I'll see if he's interested in helping out.   I think the last time I talked
to him he mentioned about lacking an ethernet controller for his PDP-11.

Anyway, he's a professor for the university I work at.   PhD in Neurology of
all things, but he's one hell of a programmer.   He wrote kernel patches for
BSD 2.11 (i think, it might have been 2.09) for the PDP-11/73 CPU which it
seems had a bug in it that DEC had patched all their OSes to work around.

Smart cat.   Don't know how interested he'd be though.   I can always ask.

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of