[HECnet] hecnet.eu and decnet.org domains

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Oct 22 20:25:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 06:07:55PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Except I think we're at Gbit ethernet locally to Uppsala University, and
I think it's redundant 10 Gb to the rest of SUNet. And from SUNet I'm
not sure what speeds we have over the atlantic and down to the rest of
europe, but it's probably acceptable. :-) (Yes, we're spoiled.)

Showoff. :)

It's nice, isn't it?   Get them all interested and then make THEM do the
work. :)

Guilty as charged. The only thing that surprise me is that I have been
playing with HECnet and trying to get more people connected for so long
(I think I've soon been doing this for ten years), and recently the

Let's see, I joined in, uhm, let's see, that's right after I left eBay and
went to work at Mack Trucks, so that would have been 2000.   It's been at
least 9 years since I got involved and I forget how long you were at it
before that.   I know you had the serial over IP thinging already written
by that point.

number of connected places, and people, have started to accelerate. And
now I start seeing activities for doing stuff around this whole thing by
others as well.
Great fun.

This is exactly the whole point.   It wasn't just about the small number of
us getting it going, it was about getting other people excited about it as
well.

Job well done. :)

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of